So many people have an office in their home now; it’s a major trend. You might work at home all the time or just occasionally. Either way, working effectively from home requires a specific skill set that may not apply to those who work in an office building.
Here are some of the tips we share with our clients to make working from home effective and efficient (as well as productive!)
- If you think you’re going off to work, you will be productive. If you think you’re home for the day, your productivity will suffer.
- Don’t work at the kitchen table or on the sofa.
- Make certain you have set office hours. Just because you’re not punching a clock doesn’t mean you don’t have to choose office hours and stick with them. Pick what works for you.
- Establish a productive routine while you’re in your office. Have a daily plan of action.
- Avoid environmental distractions. Don’t leave the TV or talk radio on for noise. Close the blinds if your office looks out at the street.
To work efficiently and effectively from home you need to apply the same dedication you would use going to a “real” office. If you work virtually or telecommute for an employer, you need to show you can remain productive even when you’re out of the office.